Universal Periodic Review (UPR) is a new and unique mechanism of the Human Rights Council (HRC) aiming at improving the human rights situation on the ground of all member states. Under this mechanism Ethiopia’s second examination under the UPR happened on May 6, 2014 at UPR’s 19th Session.
EHRP strongly believes government of Ethiopia should accept the recommendations given on
- Devastating impact of Charities and Societies Proclamation (CSP) on any form of free association
- Undesirable impact of Anti-Terrorism Proclamation (ATP) on freedom of expression
- Suppressed right to assembly, demonstration and other human rights concerns related to the 2015 election. EHRP will keep Post-UPR advocacy campaigns to lobby for the acceptance of those recommendations and implementation of any accepted recommendations. The EHRP will persist in shedding light on ongoing human rights violations in Ethiopia.
Documents related ;
- UPR Recommendations 2009
- UPR Joint submission by CSO 2013
- UPR 2010 Working Group Final Report
- UPR Out Come Report 2014