Name: – Ayelech Abebe
Age: – 33 years old
Address: – Arba Minch Town of South Nations, Nationalities and Peoples Regional State
Current situation: – Kality maximum security prison
The reason why I am jailed: – I believe I was arrested for showing solidarity for my family members who are arrested because of their political opinion.
Prosecutor’s official charge against me:- Federal prosecutor charged me of violating Article 7(1) of the Anti-Terrorism Proclamation (ATP). I am under the charge file of Lulu Mesele et al. attending court hearings at federal high court Lideta branch 4th criminal bench.
The following rights violations are committed against me in prison:–
- When I was held at Maekelawi Federal Police Interrogation Bureau:-
- I was prevented from letting know my families that I was arrested and brought to Addis Ababa.
- I was held incommunicado for weeks.
- I was beaten up time again during interrogations.
- They insulted me because of my gender and identity.
- They interrogated me at night; mostly mid night.
- They forced me to confess by threatening they will harm my family members by mentioning them by their names
- I was forced to sign on my confession.
- I am in Kality maximum security prison since they officially charged me with terrorism. They denied me of my right to be visited by friends and family members, my father is the only one allowed to visit me.
I was born and raised in Gamo Goffa, Arba Minch Town. I was working as teacher until my arrest. I am the third person to get jailed from our family. Two of my brothers (Befeqadu Abebe & Bantewson Abebe) are in Zeway and Qilinto prisons respectively. Even my father was jailed for months and then released. I believe all this is happening on my family because of our political opinion. I strongly believe that my arrest is because I showed solidarity with my brothers and father and expressed my view that their right to have different political opinion should be respected.